Useful Resources

North End House

This is where a GP will refer you for a mental health consultation if they feel it’s appropriate. Here, there are psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, crisis teams, pretty much anything mental health. They do workshops for students too, however a GP referral is necessary to access this treatment. 


Telephone: 0191 594 5770

Location: 42 North End. walk from town to the North Road roundabout (the big one in the viaduct area), go straight on (past Domino’s) for about 15 minutes. When you reach St. Leonard’s school, walk past it and take the first left road, which should be called North End. find number 42. There is an NHS sign outside it. You want the access team entrance

Screenshot (5)
The entrance to North End House

Talking Changes

They are an NHS cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) team in Durham. It’s free and open to everyone. 


Telephone: 0191 333 3300

talking changes

University Health Centre

This is the most popular GP surgery in Durham for students. When you first come to Durham, it is strongly advised that you register with a GP in the area, even if you think you’ll “never need it.” College helps you and it’s really quick to do. This is only one of many practices in Durham. 

Telephone: 0191 386 5081


Location: Green Lane, Old Elvet. From The Swan pub in town, cross the road and walk straight on, past the Marriott Hotel. When the road splits into two, take the left hand side road. this road is called Green Lane. It’s the second building along. It has a big NHS sign outside.

This is what the University Health Centre looks like

Free prescriptions: 

As students, we are so poor that we don’t have to pay for our prescriptions! Don’t allow financial worries to stop you from accessing treatment. To get the free prescriptions, you have to fill in a very long and boring form, but it’s worth it! It is best to fill it in before you come to Durham, so that it doesn’t take up precious study (party) time, or ask your parents for help.

Link to the form and further information:

County Durham Drug and Alcohol Recovery Services

This place keeps changing it’s name! It has previously been called Lifeline and Change, Grow, Live (CGL). It is a free service available to anyone who thinks they have a problem with drugs or alcohol. They come into colleges to raise awareness too. One of our team has personally had help from this service, and you can read her blog here for more information. 


Telephone: 03000 266 666




Mind’s website has so much information about anything and everything mental health, it’s worth a look!





Telephone: 116 123 or 0191 384 2727


Location: 26 Sutton Street (Viaduct)


Talk to Frank

Confidential drugs advice


Telephone: 0300 123 6600

frank 2

Beat Eating Disorders

A charity that provides advice and support for eating disorders. Check out their website for more information.


Telephone (studentline): 0808 801 0811


Waddington Street Centre

They offer support and activities for those who struggle with their mental health, in an attempt to combat loneliness. This is also where we often hold our committee meetings.


Telephone: 0191 386 0702

Location: 3 Waddington Street (Viaduct)