We also understand that contacting the university for help might not be your thing. If so, we also have a page of useful resources that you can find in our local area, but are separate from the university.
Durham University Counselling Service
Telephone: 0191 334 2200
Location: The Palatine Centre (Science Site). Ground floor. Enter through the door nearest to the Bill Bryson library, and walk up the left hand side of the corridor. It is located just before the entrance to the law school. There is a big sign.
Mental Health Adviser: Our university also has a MH adviser who works as part of the counselling service. This is an NHS mental health nurse who can give advice and support to those who really are struggling to balance their health and their studies. Her name is Kate. Contact the counselling service to get in touch with her, or ask your college for a referral.
Durham University Disability Support
Telephone: 0191 334 8115
Location: The Palatine Centre (Science Site). Ground floor. Enter through the door nearest to the Bill Bryson library, and walk up the right hand side of the corridor. It is located just before the entrance to the law school. There is a big sign.
Mental illnesses are classed as a disability! If you feel you could do with some support with your studies, arrange an appointment or go to the drop-ins to find out what help you could get! Check out the blog on disability support for more information!
Students with Disabilities Association (SWDA): This is a student-led society, to help prevent loneliness, stop stigma surrounding disabilities at university and campaigning for a more accessible campus! https://www.facebook.com/durhamswda/
Durham University Nightline
A confidential listening service, run by students for students, available every night during term time from 9pm-7am. All night, all term, all ears.
Website and online messaging service: http://community.dur.ac.uk/nightline/
Durham LGBT+ Association: https://www.facebook.com/durhamlgbta/
Durham People of Colour Association (DPOCA): https://www.facebook.com/durhampoca/
It’s NOT OK at Durham! (sexual violence): https://www.facebook.com/ItsNOTOKatDurham/
College welfare support
Each college has it’s own welfare support system, consisting of members of pastoral staff in college office, academic mentors and the student welfare team. More information can be found by emailing your college, or on their Facebook groups and websites.
- Collingwood: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grey college: facebook.com/greycollegewelfare
- Hatfield College: email@example.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hatfield.welfare
- Josephine Butler College: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- St. Aidan’s College: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: https://www.st-aidans.com/welfare/
- St. Chad’s College: https://www.stchads.ac.uk/college/common-rooms/jcr/welfare/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chadswelfare/
- St. Cuthbert’s society: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Hild and St. Bede: email@example.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HildBedeWelfare/
- St. John’s College: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johns.welfare?fref=ts Website: https://www.johnsjcr.org.uk/welfare
- St. Mary’s College: We have no information from this college. Apologies for the inconvenience. Their student welfare team is called WAM – we are sure there will be more information on the college Facebook group.
- Trevelyan College: email@example.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trevswelfare/
- University College: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/castlewelfare1/?ref=br_rs Website: https://castlecampaigns.wordpress.com/
- Ustinov College: email@example.com
- Van Mildert College: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://mildert.co.uk/external/living/welfare/
- Stephenson College: email@example.com Website: http://community.dur.ac.uk/stevojcr/welfare/contacts/
- John Snow College: http://community.dur.ac.uk/snowjcr/welcome/